Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Wiksten Dress

I have been on a roll with my sewing lately.  I often switch from craft to craft at a rapid pace.  I learned to knit a few months ago and was having a ball but now with some spring travel quickly approaching I've switched to apparel sewing.  I'm not a complete beginner but have a lot to learn at the same time. I like the Wiksten tank top.  I've made it at least four times now.  The first time through I made it exactly as the pattern called for...it didn't work for me.  I am short waisted and big busted!  So with each top I make they seem to fit a little better. For this one I learned how to do a full bust adjustment or FBA.  It was actually very simple.  I think I may have over compensated a bit though because I ended up with a very roomy dress.  When doing an FBA there's a bit of a waist adjustment as well and I just added a little too much fabric into the adjustment.  
I wish there was someone home to help photograph!  
 
I really regret not adding a bit of length to the dress.  I followed the pattern for the length but it's fairly short especially on the sides. I may piece a bit of triangular shaped fabric into the sides.  Or perhaps I'll leave it, we are traveling to a hot climate after all.  
 
I love the French seams this pattern asks for.  I think I'll start adding them when I can.
This fabric is a rayon.  I think it's perfect for this pattern.  It moves well and it's very light. I've had it in my stash for a number of years so not sure of the maker.  I normally don't wear a lot of florals but I have a feeling this dress may turn that around!
 
Here you might be able to see the dart.  Darts make me smile!  Especially when they are perfect the first time!
Overall I think the dress is wearable and will feel great on a hot, humid day.  I may have to take a break from this pattern for a while though.  There are other fish in the sea, right?
 
Thanks for reading.  I have several other recently sewn pieces to share so be sure to come back for a visit soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment