Thursday, 20 June 2013

Washi wip

A while ago I talked about the Washi dress, it was seriously frustrating me!  But all over blogland everyone had these wonderful little dresses so this week I decided it was time.  Time to finish off my Washi and start wearing it.  The biggest lesson I learned while sewing this is that you must wear the appropriate undergarments while sizing the dress, or any article of clothing.  I think that was the most basic thing to a good fit and something I wasn't doing. 

I really like this dress and would love your honest opinion.  Do I wear it out of the house?

 
It needs a good ironing.  I was too excited though for my photoshoot!
 

I made some changes to the pattern.  I had to do a full bust adjustment, which really wasn't that hard once I read up on it. 

I also lowered the bodice by about an inch.  I think I chopped two or three inches from the skirt.  I like having dresses above the knee.

I also scooped out the neckline a bit more.  Most of my tops need to be lower cut or I look really out of proportion. 

I didn't use any facing.  I wanted to use some fun bias tape but wow these polka dots would not line up straight.  I think I am ok with that though. 

 
It's so comfortable I could even garden in it!
 
 
 
 
 
So what do you think?  I would love any tips.  That last picture makes the dress look a little too tight across the bodice but I think it's just because my arm is up.
 
 
Hubby thinks I'm a goof for keeping it hung where I can see it.  I'm proud!

15 comments:

  1. I really like it! I think it fits you well, it's super cute, and you could definitely wear it out of the house. Good job, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's now husband approved so I'll wear it tomorrow! I love visiting for needle and thread!

      Delete
  2. I think it really suits you! I'd definitely wear it out of the house. I need to learn how to make dresses...

    Well done you, it's lovely :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have such a hard time buying dresses that fit well so I figured it was time to make one. Give it a shot, it wasn't that difficult! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I looks great and comfortable -- don't be afraid to wear it out of the house! After the summer, I bet it'll be super cute with black tights and boots and a little sweater. (p.s. found you through needle & thREAD) ~ Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first dress?! It's fabulous!! Great job! You can definitely wear it out of the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dress. The polka dots are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like it, too! What was the pattern? maybe I can find it to make one - it's really hard to find a dress that fits me and isn't in some awful color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! The polka dot binding is a perfect touch. Definitely wear it out of the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A definite winner! I really love your dotted binding. Yes, you may wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute on you! Love the dots with the solid red. Be PROUD!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am proud, I hope my next one is even better. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I really like it, it suits you :) I love the dots with the red too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you via CrqzyMomQuilts, and as a fellow large busted person I have to say I think your dress looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kacey! It's hard to fit these two!

      Delete