Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Work In Progress

Today I am linking up over at Freshly Pieced for WIP wednesday.  I honestly don't know how these ladies do it.  They are master crafters, the amount of sewing/quilting that they complete/start in a week leaves me in awe.  I try to work on some sort of craft a bit each day, maybe I'm just slow...and I guess that's alright!

My husband has been asking (begging is more like it) for a quilt.  He started asking last spring.  I had planned on having a completed quilt under the tree but that didn't happen.

I decided on Denise Schmidt's Any Way You Slice It.  It's manly enough, definitely doesn't feel like my style. 

I don't like brown at all, actually most of the colors in these blocks don't mix well with my style.  But I wanted to stick with Denises color suggestions.


The pattern has thrown me a bit off too.  I can't seem to get the edges all lined up properly.  Each block is supposed to measure 10.5" and mine will all be 10, not sure what happened there.


But it's a learning process and I am fairly new all this quilting.  I must say I do love it so!

16 comments:

  1. Keep at it, I'm sure that the blocks will come together. How about trying to add some negative space around each one to break the blocks up a bit, maybe in a cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply! There are three different blocks in this quilt and one of the blocks uses a creamy white. I may subsitute one of the browns with another white just to lighten it up a bit. My husband will love it even if I don't!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes you'll find, when making quilts for others, that you dislike the colors or patterns. That doesn't necessarily mean it looks bad, it just isn't your style. :) I think the brown looks fine in those blocks! I agree, maybe a little sashing or something between the blocks in a lighter color well help if you continue to dislike the top.
    As for the size differences, your blocks don't necessarily have to *exactly* match the pattern as long as they are all consistent with each other. Thus, no two quilts are alike. That's what I like best about quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the color combination. This will truly be a beautiful, oops, handsome quilt. Lucky, lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I don't know how so many get so much done but it is motivational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is great. It is so hard to do things that are not "you". but is great at the end. Thanks for visiting my blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. It loos great! Just trim your blocks so they are all even say to 9.5". It doesn't matter as long as each block is even and equal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much...I think 9.5" will be about right.

      Delete
  7. I think your husband will love it! It's hard to work on colours that you personally don't like. Put a little bit of one of your faves in there as a 'signature'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That looks like some serious work. It is going to look great though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I do string blocks like that, I use a very thin interfacing to sew the strips onto...when it is full, just square up the block to the required measurement. This works a treat. I love those colours, but know how hard it is when your colour palette is different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip! I'll keep that in mind!

      Delete
  10. Hi, I believe the reason for you having trouble with the edges is that the edges are all cut on a bias. This means they want to stretch so handle with care. I like Karin's suggestion of the interfacing. This would help a lot. I love the colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! They are cut that way...but they also don't seem to line up even when not being stretched. It's coming together though. Done with half the blocks now!

      Delete
  11. It is looking good! Keep going, it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love string quilts and yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete