Monday, 7 January 2013

The Best Chili

Just like anyone else I love comfort food.  However, comfort food loves my waist line.  So finding a recipe that is warming to the soul but good for you is always a challenge.  This is my all time favorite winter recipe, especially for weeknights because it's pretty quick to make. 

White Chili

 
Vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
4 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (11oz.) can whole kernal corn, drained
1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, drained*
1 (15 oz) can butter beans, drained*
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast**
 
*Any white bean will do...we've even used brown beans before.
**Some nights when I am tired and lazy I buy a precooked chicken, tear it apart and add to pot.
 
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven.  Cook onion and garlic in oil until onions are tender.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients except chicken.  Heat to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered 15 minutes.  Stir in cooked chicken; simmer until hot.
 
The End!  Easy right?  And so tasty.  I love cilantro so I add a little on top to each bowl. 
 
****We also add fat free sour cream, chopped tomatoes, chopped avocado and sometimes crushed tortilla chips to each bowl. 
 
 
 
I hope you give it a try.  If you do I would love to hear how it turns out. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment