Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Color Wheel

WIP Wednesday:


Today I am linking up to Freshly Pieced for work in progress Wednesday.  So far I have only browsed through all the wonderful patchwork that people have linked to. Today I am finally close to finishing a project that has now taken about 4 months.



This is the color-wheel quilt from Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson.  I had been wanting to try this quilt for about a year when I finally got the courage.  And with the great instructions it really was not too difficult.  I have only made three quilts previous to this so I consider myself a newbie.  But I am so obssessed.  I have a whole quilting room in our new rental (more on that in a moment).

So the last bit I have to do is the binding...which I never enjoy doing.  I don't like deciding on fabric for the binding and I especially don't like binding by hand.  So if I ever get around to picking out the binding I have decided I'm machine sewing it on.  Cheating?  I don't think so...



The center of this quilt seems a bit bunchy with all the thread from the intersecting quilting.  And my wedges of white are not all equal.  But I have to say I love, love this quilt.  It is very soft.  Not too big, only 56 inches square.


The back, sorry no one was home besides the baby, and she can't help hold the quilt up! Also very soft.  So any suggestions for binding?  The quilt pictured in the book has white binding.  Not really exciting but I guess keeps the focus on the color wheel itself.

And now for a peek into my horribly messy sewing room.  Keep in mind we just moved here a few months ago and I have not yet had the time (motivation) to organize.  I need cheap shelves for sure. 
The lighting in here is wonderful but the whole house has these thick drapes that keep the light out.  Yuck!






My Singer, I love this machine.  I had an old cranky Kenmore from my m-i-l but my hubby promised that if we relocated to Canada he would buy me a new machine.  It's the first thing when bought for the new house!

And finally a picture of a bit of fabric mess!  This homely couch was left in the house when we moved in.  Hopefully it will go soon.  And maybe I'll have some shelving in it's place!  I can't stand having all of my fabric thrown around like this.  I'll blame it on the kids!


9 comments:

  1. Wow! this is amazing for your 3rd project. How big is it? You could do a scrappy binding, with all your scraps from the color wheel. Don't worry about the bunchiness in the middle, if your batting is cotton, "the first washing" will do wonders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's 56 inches square. A scrappy binding is a great idea..continue on the rainbow theme!

      Delete
  2. Lovely lovely! I want to make one of these too! (That book is one of my favourites.) But the baby isn't helping with the photography? What a slacker! ;) You did a great job, I'd say you were officially not a newbie anymore.

    Welcome to Canada, I hope you enjoy your time here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm... 2 things I thought of: the scrappy idea from maidenhair fern, or rainbow fabric cut so it looks like it is many scraps sewn together. I would not do white. I'm a firm believer in making quilts look like they have a frame, call me old fashioned. Did you use a dresden ruler for the pieces of the circle? Just curious because I will be making dresdens soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pattern! It's fun that we both shared the progress on our colour wheel quilts for WIP Wednesday this week. I can't decide whether to do a white binding or rainbow binding myself. Great job for your fourth quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous! lovely job.
    i always machine stitch my binding on, and i do not mind how it looks at all myself! i have done the reverse side with zig zag stitch and straight and they both work well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful colorwheel. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your color wheel quilt is beautiful! You did a great job. : )

    Sara I need your email address so I can email you about Pay it Forward. I think you are a no-reply blogger, and it won't let me email you. : (

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sara!

    I tried to reply to your comment on my blog, but you're a no-reply blogger, so I'll post my message here:

    Yes, I love the fact that we both shared our colour wheels on the same day! Yours is beautiful too and I'm sure the rainbow will bring you lots of smiles. I was frustrated with my quilt at times, but redid things because I figured I'd been working on it on and off for 2.5 years, so I'd better get it right!

    Now to quilt it up!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete